Conscious listening is understanding sound. It increases empathy, connection, consciousness, and peace. Listening externally improves relationships. Listening internally increases awareness of inner wisdom and self-sabotaging talk. Read on to learn ways to uplift your capacity to hear with clarity.
1. Sit silently for three minutes a day to recalibrate and hear the silence again.
2. Listen and count the many channels of sound (i.e. count birds chirping or the different depths of sound listening to the flow of a creek, or the clasps of the coffee machine being worked at Starbucks as you stand in line).
3. Savor mundane sounds. Turn the sound of a washing machine into a waltz.
4. Listening positions allow room to navigate, see different perspectives, and find solutions.
- Active | passive
- Reductive | expansive
- Critical |empathetic
5. R A S A is an acronym to simplify the rules to listen better.
- R = Receive, pay attention
- A = Appreciation, thank for sharing
- S = Summarize, use so… frequently
- A – Ask, pose many questions
Listening is a rare art form that takes practice, dedication, and consciousness. Notice how slowing down to listen to others and yourself can help transform your relationships, decision-making, and peacefulness.